Introducing the amazing quinoa pizza – a lifesaver for us pizza lovers!
If you love pizza as much as we do, you may realize that it’s never healthy to eat a whole pizza. Sadly. And as we all struggle to stay healthy as new moms or moms of toddlers, we can find it hard sometimes to make dinner.
We get it – it’s hard to stay focused and get food on the table after a long day with no naps, vomiting, snot, burps, laundry, etc. We get it. We’ve been there.
So we wanted to give you a healthy option for pizza. In this recipe, we’ve given you a dough recipe that calls of all kinds of toppings. If you don’t like quinoa, then we suggest you find some tasty toppings with plenty of flavors that can balance out the quinoa pizza dough.
- 3/4 cup quinoa covered by 1 inch of water that has been soaked 6-8 hours (cleaning them isn’t enough in this case, they must soak)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Your toppings of choice
- Let the quinoa soak overnight or throughout the day, totaling around 6-8 hours. This allows the quinoa to soak up the water, making them smoother in the dough. If you are doing a double portion, add more water to ensure there’s enough water.
- Rinse the quinoa after it has soaked up the water in cool water. Drain.
- Add the quinoa to a blender, and add the water, baking powder, and half the olive oil. Blend until the dough is smooth. A food processor may not be able to do the job. You want a smooth dough, where the quinoa is barely visible.
- Place parchment paper on a baking pan, and coat it with the remaining oil. Use a spoon or your hand if needed.
- Scoop the batter onto the parchment paper and spread out. If you want a thin crust, aim for a 7-inch pizza. For a thicker dough, aim for a 5-inch pizza.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flipping the quinoa pizza at the end. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until it is golden brown. Pull the pizza out, and add your toppings.
- Put the pizza back in the oven until your cheese is melted or until your toppings are cooked. If you are doing uncooked meats, such as chicken or bacon, cook those before adding them to the pizza to avoid drying out or burning the quinoa pizza dough.
What would you put on your quinoa pizza? Share your ideas below and help other moms with their pizza creations!